are part of the camelid family (so are llamas and camels).
are two different types (breeds):
* suri (they have “dreadlock” type hair) and huacaya (this is what we have on the farm- they are more “fluffy”).
- Alpacas are from South America and raised for
their soft fleece (at times being as soft, or softer, than cashmere).
*Alpacas are sheared once a year
*Each alpaca can yield up to 10 pounds of fleece
*Alpacas fleece is hypoallergenic.
*Virtually no itch (unlike wool which can be very itchy)
*3xs warmer than wool and the second warmest natural material
*Very durable fiber
* Flame retardant
- Alpacas are about 34”-36" tall.
- Alpacas can weight 120 to 200 pounds.
- Alpacas usually live about 15-25 years.
- Female Alpacas are induced ovulators and the
males ‘orgle’ to entice a female to mate.
*An Alpacas gestation period is 11 months.
*A baby Alpaca is called a ‘Cria’
- Alpacas are very social animals that tend to
band together (therefore, if you decided to buy an Alpaca- please buy more
than one as they will not do well being alone).
- Alpacas have padded feet (not hoofs) so they are easy on the grass (and your feet
if they happen to step on you).
- Alpacas have three separate stomachs
*Alpacas enjoy hay and grass but we also provide them with free choice minerals.
- Alpacas are great for mowing grass! Alpacas do not eat grass from the root, but merely
just cut the tops off the grass and move on.
to 12 alpacas can fit in one acre.
*They do not challenge fences
*Fencing helps keep other animals out rather than keeping the Alpacas in.
- Alpacas are neat- as in they tend to use the
bathroom in a few spots (they have a ‘communal’ dung pile away from their food)
making clean up very easy and the spread of parasites and contamination low.
- Alpacas produce “black gold” (natural
fertilizer) which is great for gardens.
*Alpaca manure will not burn (due to its low organic matter- unlike many other fertilizers) therefore making it ideal to be placed on vegetation because alpacas process their food so well (as they have three stomachs).
*It also contains high levels of nitrogen and potassium which are major plant nutrients.
*"Black Gold" is also virtually odorless- allowing you to transport some of our bags in your car.
are gentle but:
*May spit. They tend to spit at each other rather than humans but ‘spit does happen’.
*Can kick. Kicking is rare, but if feeling threatened this is also another line of defense (this feels like a hard
punch but nothing more- trust me haha)
Many people are not familiar with Alpacas so we thought we would provide you with some useful information and 'random facts' you may not have known. Hope you enjoy!!!